Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Weighing The Odds In Sports Betting

A gift for my letter to the new volunteers APASCIDE (Association of Parents of Deafblind Spain)

Hi everyone! Just

missing 20 days to start a journey for some, a dream for others, a vital experience for many and a challenge for tod @ s, I'm sure! Not only for those who go for the first time, also for the oldest, because each passing year, this camp is enriched with renewed hopes of each participant.

This bottle into the sea, writing to those "shipwrecked" who first come into the world of deafblindness and decided to volunteer at summer camp. Be the companions and guides in their summer vacation. And I'm writing from my first experience last year ...

is shocking. So, no half measures.
Each reality is more complex and as we are coming more and more "children" to the bus stop, the first feeling is to feel little to much immensity.
The immensity of their smiles and enthusiasm for spending the week at camp, and we who know how to communicate with them, we seem to run out of words to say, no signs to draw in your hands or in the air ... is normal. Our faces are dislodged, so it does not seem that we are "new", but what we are and nothing happens! (Despite having participated in activities with other deafblind people, the difference in my case, was that they were associated disabilities)

The truth is that it is our first time.
Coordinators and comrades s going to repeat that we have confidence to discuss any difficulties, fatigue, problems or lack with the "child" who have given ... but of course there are things that seem obvious and I say, I'm so perfectionist and responsible, and all I want to do it right the first ... how I'm going to ask this? What if I ask this question will doubt my enthusiasm for being here? What if I confess my tiredness? "I need to speak to the difficulties? "Call me again next year? -Uuuuuuffffff better not say anything! which I'll adapt these days ... but the days pass, because they just are 6, and it is important to be honest, we know that the coordinators are not going to judge by asking questions or doubts, all otherwise! For that they are!
They also had their "first time" and that to me I forgot.

I write from my experience ... that's how I experienced it last year.
agotadísima I went to bed after giving the kiss goodnight my "girl", and by my bed in silence, I questioned how to do better the next day, how I enjoy her, because I felt uncomfortable not feel the same about my compis.
to me I could tell by his face that "something" was wrong ... and so I spent three days until I had to do the night shift, and only then, suddenly, when a volunteer veteran asked me for help, I looked around and said I? "Of course! You see, I need your help with this "girl", please, do not know if I know, I confessed ... she just smiled at me with his eyes and told me, of course you know, something you're here, but if you have doubts about how do ask me because I need your help ... and that was how I asked him what he needed, and she explained to me quite naturally, and when I resolved those doubts, I took the time to ask complicity by many others, and between it and my coordinator that night resolved all my doubts cleared all my fears, and I especially noticed that I was not the only one going through this process: the initial shock, personal insecurity, not wanting to talk for fear of things wrong, or not knowing how they will react ...

That night I rested better than ever, and that it the day unless you sleep (you'll see;) ... but I woke up happy, excited, and most importantly, only had one concern: that my "girl" the best thing to happen.

There was no hole in my head to think about my insecurity, my anguish, my concerns ... No. From that day we were one. My "girl", my compilation and I volunteer. And it was only necessary to talk.

Let the confidence to speak! Do not forget that we all had that "first experience", perhaps not everyone is as big wine, but someone who writes them felt very unsure the first day, even traveling with a great friend to talk to, because when we were alone my "girl" and I was thinking about her constantly. And she, and they do not need our concern. They need our business, that we address their needs so they can develop their activities freely realize their dreams, however small or large are based on their limitations.

learned that the biggest mistake we can make is to be us, the volunteers, their biggest limitation. The "children" will tell us how far they can go. Do not worry about that, let him freedom to be ... only then discover the magic that lives inside, and enjoy them, and as the song said goodbye to us last year, we are aware of the meaning of the word magic magic is to try to overturn what is in the back of you, magic is to see you smile "

volunteers we've been other years, I've only been one, we are aware of what it means to go for the first time, the coordinators still more ...

Seize the opportunity! Enjoy the experience! and so the "kids" will enjoy it too, and if in doubt, feel that the situation at times exceeds them even longer feel joy to feel sorry for "them" talk to us, do not expect the third day, a night guard because I fear I wasted three days, and I regret it ... and it was as easy as that someone offered me help. From here, we are offering you, take it from the beginning so that everyone can enjoy it the most, and let the magic and into our hearts ... Magic is see you smile;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment